Sunday, August 28, 2016

Notes to Sparty #1

Before we begin (and I hope you are beginning at the beginning) I guess a little introduction is in order. Welcome to this blog. I first started it up in 2006, and here we are in 2016.  For ten years, I've lovingly tended to it and grown kind of attached to it. I suppose it's been like my baby; but now, an actual, real-life baby is on the way (yep, that means you)  

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to just abandon this little blog, but, like a lot of things in your mum and dad's life right now, this is going to change a little. From now on, and for the foreseeable future, this blog will primarily be a place where I write these little notes to you.  

A word of warning- these will often be rambling (I always use five words when one will do) and are likely to contain more wit than wisdom. There'll be some lame jokes. Maybe some photos. I don't know, I haven't really thought through the details, except that it might be a good way to tell you what was going on out here while you were there getting bigger and cuter and ready to come out and meet us.  

So, on the one hand, there's the crazy, I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself type of excitement that we're both feeling right now; but, on the other hand, there's also the sometimes dull monotony of our daily routines. I hope to convey both, but most of all I hope to show you that even though life isn't always super-exciting, it is always beautiful. 

I did spend some time thinking about who to address this to. I mean, obviously this is to you, but seeing as you’re only going to be reading this in a few years’ time, perhaps it should really be addressed to your ten-year-old self? 

But then again, since most of what I’m writing about is set in the present time, maybe they should be addressed to your current self and this way it will be more interesting to read for you since it will be about a distant past? Perhaps i’m over-thinking this. I guess I should just write these the way they come, and we will figure out the space-time continuum stuff later. Deal?

Anyway, enough with the intro (see what I mean about rambling?) I'll finish with this vaguely appropriate quote by the great Bob Dylan (by the time you've read this, I’d have told you all about Bob Dylan) 'Stick with me, baby, stick with me anyhow; Things should start to get interestin' right about now.' 

love, your Dad

No comments: