Monday, February 11, 2019

A few years ago I was driving on a highway at night in pouring rain when I realised that one of my indicator lamps had blown. Since the driving conditions were pretty poor, I pulled up into the hard shoulder and called roadside assistance. 

About 20 mins later, there was a knock on my window from a mechanic in the familiar high-vis jacket. By this time, the rain had intensified and I could barely make out his face until I stepped out of the car. My only protection against the rain was a light jacket which was clearly not up to the task, so before saying anything else he ran into his van and got an extra jacket. He then handed it to me, shook my hand and said with a smile- Hi, I’m Carl. let's get your indicator fixed, shall we? 

After a few minutes of checking the fuses and wires, he'd figured out the fault but a new bulb was needed. Luckily, he had one. A few more minutes of opening up the casing, fiddling with screws, etc etc, and then he called me over to where he was standing and asked me to hold on to the bulb. 

"Let's do this together!", he said excitedly, and so as he held the casing over the socket to prevent it getting wet, I pushed the bulb in while simultaneously thinking that nobody should be this upbeat when getting soaked by the side of the road at 11 pm. 

“You see!” he exclaimed, as the bulb sparked to life and illuminated the drops of water on his glasses. 
“More hands make light work.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would
be okay. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.