Friday, January 23, 2015

Some time ago, I came across a quote that went more or less like this: 
Art is a collaboration between the artist and God, with the artist preferably doing as little as possible. 

I gleefully pounced upon this (by which I mean I shared it instantly on Twitter) as it seemed to explain, neatly and beautifully, the fundamentally metaphysical nature of all art. As far as I was concerned, 'creation'- both the process and the end-result- happened somewhere deep in the unconscious, unfathomable depths; think about it too much and it was gone. All it consisted of was more than a little divine intervention, and some willingness to let it do its thing; to pass through you, and out into the world.

While this seemed to tie in perfectly with what the quote was trying to say, my problem was that I frequently used this as a licence for laziness. I have written about 'craft/graft' earlier, and how they're essentially the same thing, but in the context of this quote, I realised there's something critical it doesn't quite spell out, but certainly implies. Or should imply. 

Because the crux of the matter is this- given that it is a collaboration (and I believe it is), and the artist must quite rightly do as little as possible (because it's not really about them)- the amount they do is relative to how much God does. 

And this makes all the difference. When the one who created the universe, flung stars into space, and made everything that ever was and ever will be; when that God, in all his infinite wisdom, is orchestrating a collaboration with you on something, anything -- exactly what are you going to bring to the table? It better be better than your very best, because that's the least He deserves. 
There's a thought for the New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work Sir, very thought provoking, you truly are blessed to write!
John1:3
Thomas Anil John