Sunday, November 02, 2014

The fish that swam upside-down

There was once a fish in my grandma's tank, 
who always swam upside-down; 
For a while, if I'm completely frank, 
I thought he was trying to be a clown. 

But then with each passing week, 
I watched him struggle to stay up straight; 
I imagined him feeling like a freak, 
In his little corner, far from his mates. 

Over time, it seemed he'd accepted his lot, 
And did his best to not feel bereft; 
He would swim valiantly to the feeding pot, 
But there was often nothing left. 

Then, little fish, he grew weak and tired, 
And his little heart beat towards its end; 
But still it looped and bobbed as required, 
without a hope, or chance, or friend. 

And then one day there it lay, 
sideways in the golden sand; 
I found myself blinking tears away, 
As we scooped it in our hand. 

I sometimes think of that little fish, 
upside-down, whether by choice or circumstance; 
and when I do, I can't help but wish- 
that somewhere he's smiling and doing a dance. 

Being seen as 'different' can often hurt, 
It can be a blessing but is often a curse; 
But when I picture that fish, there in the dirt- 
I know that being alone is so much worse.

No comments: