Saturday, May 31, 2014

On Leaving

I've always thought it's a good thing they don't weigh your heart at check-in counters at airports. If they did, mine would almost always be over the limit. Arriving at a new, potentially better, place necessitates a departure from the old, but so often this doesn't make the leaving any easier. 

I do apologise - the efficient but indifferent person at the counter will say in brusque tones - but that is much too heavy, you will need to take some items out. But I can't, I will plead; these are all important things and I must take them all. Yes, sir, they will respond; I do understand (even though they don't), but we cannot allow it. Airline policy, I'm afraid (even though they have nothing to be afraid of). 

Still I protest- Where do you start when it comes to emptying out the heart, I ask. Indeed, the more you try to leave behind, the heavier it gets. Can you not just put a 'Heavy' tag on it and send it on its way? Oh, and while you're at it, could you stick a 'Fragile' one on as well? 

It’s my heart, you see. It’s the only one I’ve got.

No comments: