Monday, February 17, 2014

Fundraising 2014 kicks off today!

Dear friends, 

Many of you gave so generously to my 2013 'Movember' fundraiser (which you can read more about here), in aid of prostate cancer. Along with the many kind donations, it was (somewhat justifiably) pointed out to me that growing a moustache for a month, despite the many challenges it presented to me personally, did not require much physical effort on my part. 

So, for 2014, I thought I would change this by attempting to do two 10 km runs, in aid of two different charities. While not a massive distance per se, I am well aware there will be many obstacles along the way, chief among them being my chronic lack of both motivation and fitness. Even so, I am determined to see these through- both for the sake of the charities involved, and the two remarkable women who have inspired me throughout my life. 

As some of you may know, my paternal grandmother (86 years old) recently underwent treatment for cancer and is now recuperating. So my first run on 25th May will be in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support, a charity that does a lot of important work improving lives of cancer patients in the UK. 
You can find out more about them and make a donation at this link: http://www.justgiving.com/ajayjacob

My maternal grandmother (96 years old and currently in poor health) has suffered from glaucoma and it has been passed on to my mother who will need to use eye-drops for the rest of her life. My second run on 13th July will be in aid of the International Glaucoma Association (IGA), a charity that provides crucial support for patients as well as funding research into a cure. 
You can find out more about them and make a donation at this link: http://www.justgiving.com/ajayjacob1

Even though the runs are still a few months away, I hope you will take a few moments to: 
1) Make a donation to one or both of these great causes. Even a small amount will make a huge difference. 
2) Forward this to any friends and colleagues who might consider donating. 

Thank you so much for doing either one or both of the above. You can follow my progress on either the individual JustGiving links above or on this blog here; I will post updates as often as I can. 

Very many thanks again for your support.

No comments: