Friday, January 19, 2007

India- Tales from the Hinterland

Rustic transcript of speech by local Member of Parliament (c. 2004)
On a whistle-stop tour of the world’s largest democracy:

Namaste, bhaiyo aur behno[1]!

Please to be giving your vote to me,
I will be much obliged;
Roti, kapdaa aur makaan[2], tho-
I will personally provide.

Roads to your home will be best quality,
24 hours light will be there;
Excess of water for every person,
No need even to share.

Best schools for all the bachaas[3],
Medicine will be all free,
To all who be voting, I will give-
Fully new colour teevee.

I know I’m promising all this before,
But, really, erm…what to say?
See, five years seem long time to you,
In politiks, is like a day.

No fear; I be making your village,
Whole total duniya ki shaan[4];
So press down those thumbs, bhaiyo aur behno,
Mera Bharat Mahaan[5]!

Thanking You.


[1] Greetings, brothers and sisters! (a standard opening line)
[2] Food, clothing and shelter; three words with which many an Indian election is won and lost.
[3] children
[4] Pride of the whole world, a largely elusive concept
[5] My India is great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fresh